In the first year, the Core Curriculum is taught in four sequential workshops spread across the year, matching the developmental trajectory of children’s growing skills.
The first two-day session is delivered in the summer prior to the start of school. Each of the remaining three workshops is a one-day session with the second workshop occurring in the fall, the third in the winter, and the fourth and final workshop taking place in the spring. Each workshop builds on the one before it, and all four are required.
Teachers attending the K Year 1 Core will also receive a 1 year subscription to the PowerTools app and access to analytics on classroom and individual level trends to support instructional planning. PowerTools helps teachers’ facilitate children’s reading instruction and increases the dosage of supported reading practice in Semester II. Classrooms need 4-8 iPads to implement PowerTools; classrooms can also implement Tools K without this technology asset. Our training will integrate approaches with and without PowerTools in 2018-2019.
In addition to the Year 1 Core content, our four-workshop series is supplemented throughout the year by virtual technical assistance, live webinars, and support through our innovative app based learning system, the iScaffold. Teachers have ongoing support and a range of ways to learn.
What will teachers learn?
- How to embed practice in self-regulated learning into all activities
- Strategies to help children improve the quality of their make-believe play–critical for self-regulation development
- New research-based literacy and math activities that incorporate self-regulatory components
- Classroom management techniques to maximize time, facilitate productive interactions and increase and maintain student engagement
- Cutting edge research and the underlying Vygotskian theory that can unify and guide their teaching practice and help teachers meet the needs of all learners
Who can register?
This workshop series is designed for kindergarten teachers, paraprofessionals and related support staff in programs and schools seeking research-based innovative approach to curriculum that impacts children’s self-regulation development at the same time it builds foundational literacy and numeracy skills.
The cost is $3,750 per classroom which includes:
- 5 days of in-person professional development for lead and assistant teaching team
- 2 live webinars
- 2 Teacher Manual Sets
- 2 iScaffold 12-month subscriptions
- 2 sessions of Technical Assistance support (either in person or virtual) by a Tools of the Mind trainer are provided for each district registered
Additional attendees may be added at a cost of $1,875 per attendee. These additional attendees could be additional assistants in the classroom, support staff, coaches, and/or administrators. Additional TA may also be purchased.
Are you registering 3 or more classrooms? If so, you can receive a free seat for your program administrator at our professional development workshops as well as a free iScaffold subscription and manual set for that administrator. Please include it on the registration form when you sign up!
- August 23 and August 24, 2018
- October 16, 2018
- December 11, 2018
- March 28, 2019