In the first year, the Core Curriculum is taught in four workshops spread across the year, matching the developmental trajectory of children’s growing skills.
The first workshop is two sequential days with a focus on Tools’ theory and practice that takes place before the start of the school year. Each of the remaining three workshops is a one-day session. The second workshop takes place in the fall, the third in the winter, and the fourth and final workshop takes place in the spring. Each workshop builds on the one before it, and teachers attend all of the workshops as part of their Year 1 Core training. Each classroom also receives an introductory subscription to our PowerTools Literacy Solution.
In addition to the Year 1 Core content, our four-workshop series is supplemented throughout the year by Technical Assistance support, and a school year long subscription to our innovative app based learning system for teachers, iScaffold. Teachers have ongoing support and a range of ways to learn with Tools of the Mind.
What will teachers learn?
- Cutting-edge research and the underlying Vygotskian theory that will unify and guide their teaching practice and help teachers meet the needs of all learners
- How to embed self-regulated learning into all activities
- Research-based literacy, math and science activities aligned with Common Core Standards, Next Generation Science Standards and state standards, as well as with commonly used observation and assessment tools (e.g. CLASS and Teaching Strategies Gold)
- Classroom management techniques to maximize time, facilitate productive interactions and increase student engagement
Who can register?
This workshop series is designed for kindergarten teachers, paraprofessionals and related support staff in schools seeking a research-based, innovative approach to curriculum that impacts children’s self-regulation development at the same time as it builds foundational literacy, numeracy and science skills.
We encourage programs to send lead and assistant teaching teams to our workshops together. Programs that wish to add additional specialists providing support in Tools’ classrooms can be added for an additional cost.
The cost is $3,750 per classroom which includes:
- 5 days of in-person professional development––this includes the lead teacher and one assistant or support teacher (assistant teacher, 1:1 aide, or in-classroom literacy support)
- Technical Assistance from a Tools of the Mind Partnership Development Manager or Specialist assigned to your program
- Curriculum manuals–– 1 print manual set per registered classroom; additional print manual sets can be ordered, and each registered participant has access to our electronic manual edition via their iScaffold subscription
- K Year 1 Core Binder with workshop activities and resources for each participant
- School year long iScaffold and eTools subscriptions for each participant
- 1 PowerTools subscription per registered classroom timed to coordinate with rollout of small group reading instruction in Tools’ K program
Additional TA may also be purchased. Individualized Technical Assistance helps coaches, administrators, and teachers build a deeper understanding of the Tools of the Mind approach. In TA sessions, Tools of the Mind partners with sites to reflect on children’s engagement in Tools’ activities and provides feedback on next steps using Tools’ tactics to support children’s development.
Are you registering 2 or more classrooms? If so, you can receive a free seat for your program administrator or coach at our professional development workshops, and they will receive a free school year long eTools & iScaffold subscription.