In the first year, the Kindergarten curriculum is taught in four workshops spread across the year, matching the developmental trajectory of children’s growing skills.
The first workshop is two sequential days with a focus on Tools’ theory and practice that takes place near the beginning of the school year. Each of the remaining three workshops is a one-day session. Each workshop builds on the one before it, and teachers attend all of the workshops as part of their Year One Core training. Each classroom also receives a license to use our PowerTools Literacy Solution and Developmental Writing Assessments in the 2020-2021 school year.
Our four-workshop series is supplemented by a personal Tools staff member assigned to your program to support implementation, Technical Assistance support for programs with 3 or more registered classrooms, and school-year subscriptions to eTools with iScaffold, our innovative app based learning system, for each registered staff member. Teachers have ongoing support and a range of ways to learn with Tools of the Mind. This design ensures that our team effectively partners with schools to meet each teacher where they are, learn about their students and community, and support strong implementation of Tools.
What will teachers learn?
- Cutting-edge research and the underlying Vygotskian theory that will unify and guide their teaching practice and help teachers meet the needs of all learners
- How to embed self-regulated learning into all activities
- Research-based literacy, math and science activities that are aligned with Common Core Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, state standards, and commonly used observation and assessment tools (e.g. CLASS® and Teaching Strategies GOLD®)
- Classroom management techniques to maximize time, facilitate productive interactions and increase student engagement
Who can register?
This workshop series is designed for Kindergarten teachers, paraprofessionals and related support staff in schools seeking a research-based, innovative approach to curriculum that impacts children’s self-regulation development at the same time as it builds foundational literacy, numeracy and science skills.
We encourage programs to send lead and assistant teaching teams to our workshops together. Programs that wish to add additional specialists providing support in Tools’ classrooms can be added for an additional cost.
The cost is $3,750 per classroom which includes:
- 5 days of in-person or live virtual professional development — for a lead teacher with option for 1 assistant or support teacher (1:1 aide, special education, ELL, DLL or in-classroom literacy support)
- A Tools of the Mind team member assigned to your program to provide support and answer questions
Technical Assistance from a Tools of the Mind Partnership Development Manager or Specialist for programs registering 3 or more classrooms
- 1 print curriculum Activity Manual set per registered classroom; additional print manual sets can be ordered, and each registered participant has access to the full electronic manual set via eTools with iScaffold
- K Year One Core Workbook with workshop activities and resources for each participant
- 1 school-year subscription to eTools with iScaffold for each registered participant
Complimentary PowerTools and Developmental Writing Assessment (DWA) 2020-2021 classroom licenses for each registered classroom*
*PowerTools access is timed to coordinate with rollout of small group reading instruction in Tools K program
Additional TA may also be purchased. Individualized Technical Assistance helps coaches, administrators, and teachers build a deeper understanding of the Tools of the Mind approach. In TA sessions, Tools of the Mind partners with sites to reflect on children’s engagement in Tools’ activities and provides feedback on next steps using Tools’ tactics to support children’s development.
Are you registering 3 or more classrooms? If so, you can receive a free seat for your program administrator or coach at our professional development workshops, and they will receive a free school-year eTools with iScaffold subscription.