In the first year, the PreK curriculum is taught in four professional development workshops spread across the year, matching the developmental trajectory of children’s growing skills.
The first workshop is two sequential days with a focus on Tools theory and practice that typically takes place near the beginning of the school year. Each of the remaining three workshops is a one-day session. Each workshop builds on the one before it, and teachers attend all of the workshops as part of their Year One Core Professional Development.
Our four-workshop series is supplemented by a personal Tools staff member assigned to your program to support implementation, Technical Assistance support for programs with 3 or more registered classrooms, and school-year subscriptions to eTools with iScaffold, our innovative app based learning system, for each registered staff member. Teachers have ongoing support and a range of ways to learn with Tools of the Mind. This design ensures that our team effectively partners with schools to meet each teacher where they are, learn about their students and community, and support strong implementation of Tools.
What will teachers learn?
- Cutting-edge research and the underlying Vygotskian theory that will unify and guide their teaching practice and help teachers meet the needs of all learners
- How to embed self-regulated learning into all activities
- Research-based core curriculum content aligned with state standards as well as with commonly used observation and assessment tools (e.g. ECERS®, CLASS®, or Teaching Strategies GOLD®)
- How to plan instruction using make-believe play themes to build background knowledge, self-regulation development and incorporate authentic math and literacy learning experiences
- Classroom management techniques to maximize time, facilitate productive interactions and increase and maintain student engagement
Who can register?
This workshop series is designed for preschool teachers, paraprofessionals and related support staff in programs seeking a research-based, innovative approach to curriculum that impacts children’s self-regulation development at the same time as it builds foundational literacy and numeracy skills.
We encourage programs to send lead and assistant teaching teams to our workshops together. Programs that wish to add additional specialists providing support in Tools’ classrooms can be added for an additional cost.
The cost is $3,750 per classroom which includes:
- 5 days of in-person or live virtual professional development — for a lead teacher with option for 1 assistant or support teacher
- A Tools of the Mind team member assigned to your program to provide support and answer questions
- Technical Assistance from a Tools of the Mind Partnership Development Manager or Specialist for programs registering 3 or more classrooms
- 1 print curriculum Activity Manual per registered classroom; additional print manuals can be ordered, and each registered participant has access to the full electronic manual edition via eTools with iScaffold
- PreK Year One Core Workbook with workshop activities and resources for each participant
- 1 school-year subscription to eTools with iScaffold for each registered participant
- Complimentary Developmental Writing Assessment (DWA) 2020-2021 classroom license for each registered classroom
Additional Technical Assistance (TA) may also be purchased. Individualized Technical Assistance helps coaches, administrators, and teachers build a deeper understanding of the Tools of the Mind approach. In TA sessions, Tools of the Mind partners with sites to reflect on children’s engagement in Tools’ activities and provide feedback on next steps using Tools’ tactics and curriculum to support children’s development.
Are you registering 3 or more classrooms? If so, you can receive a free seat at our professional development workshops for your program administrator or coach, and they will receive a school-year subscription to eTools with iScaffold!